Sunday, March 15, 2009

Brooklyn's Birthday Party

Because Tyler and Morgan's Birthdays are a week apart next month, and it seemed silly to have so many gatherings and spend the $ 3 times so close together, we decided to keep Brooklyn's little birthday party sweet'n simple, and save all the company fun to be for a combined b-day later for Tyler and Morgan. Even Grandma and Grandpa had other things that kept them from being with us, so it was completely just us this time. We started out the day with a little play time in the doll house, a photo shoot for "little princess ballerinas," then making preparations for the "party" that night. The actual party began with blowing up balloons, having a balloon "sword" hitting party, then we moved into dancing and tricks, and lastly presents and cake. It lasted aproximately 30 minutes, and to my delight wore them out completely right before bed. Funny how sometimes I can get all bent out of shape not going all out for these kinds of events, or feeling inadequate or "un cool" by not puting on a production and inviting everyone I know. But its times like this that I realize when I really focus on the true "needs" of my child or kids in general, very little effort is required. A little invested attention and thought, as well as allocated special time from mommy, is all that is desired from little ones, and so easily accomodating if I give up my selfish desires and do a little better in my time management. I find it so ironic how important it may feel to me to block out an entire day for family, friends, cousins and chatting (which I do love ), but seems to be so difficult sometimes to give a full hour of one-on-one true attentive time once a day with my kids. After seeing the joy and excitement all day of Morgan and Tyler leading up to the evening of a simple and silly Birthday party for just Brooklyn and them was very fulfilling, and a great reminder of once again what is most important and true perspective. We had such a blast, and as you can see on their little faces, probably better than any all out production would have been. Likely at events like that what really happens is they fight hard and get upset in not being able to get my attention, and then left to run a muck while I talk my head off. Sound familiar to anyone else? LOL! So after all of this my point is (to myself)..... There's a time and a place , and to not get stressed or feel guilty if I can't do everything such a "First Birthday's" with fireworks and grandios offerings every time, and that its OK. My kids and Heavenly Father are not keeping tally, and don't require what others may, to accept me or love me.
Tyler trying to STEAL the present opening. He was NOT ok with not having any presents. He kept asking where his presents were. He did not understand that it was not his birthday! Birthday parties and not opening presents is very challenging for any 3 year old. Morgan went through the same thing at Tyler's 1 yr party. LOL!
Morgan too had a very hard time not getting to be the one opening or playing with the presents so she was very anxious to "help Brooklyn." Yeah right!
Brooklyn LOVED her little chickie that tweets, and we call it her "tweet tweet" and she knows exactly what we are talking about.
This little rocking horse was the Hit of the party! He "nays", sings songs, and talks. Watch the little movie and you'll see at the end she had to give this horsey her soft tender loves.
Need I say more? Cherry Chocolate cake looks more like she's eating a carcas of some kind more than cake. Kind of gross! But she loved it once she figured out what it was.


No comments:

Post a Comment